Pol Besenius was born in Wiltz, Luxembourg in 1981, where he grew up and completed secondary school education. In 2000 Pol started his Chemistry studies at the Vienna University of Technology, being awarded a ‘1. Diplomprüfung’ in 2003. As an exchange student he spent a year at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland, and graduated as a BSc with 1st Class Honours in 2004.
From autumn 2004 until early 2008 Pol completed his PhD studies at the University of Strathclyde and WestCHEM Research School in Glasgow, under the supervision of Prof. Peter Cormack and the late Prof. David C. Sherrington FRS, in collaboration with Prof. Sijbren Otto and Prof. Jeremy K. M. Sanders FRS at the University of Cambridge.
In 2008 Pol took up a Postdoctoral Research Assistant position at the Eindhoven University of Technology with Prof. Anja Palmans and Prof. E. W. “Bert” Meijer, being awarded a Marie-Curie Fellowship in the Laboratory for Macromolecular and Organic Chemistry and the Institute for Complex Molecular Systems.
From 2011 to 2014 Pol was as Group Leader (Habilitand), in the Organic Chemistry Institute at the Westfälische Wilhelms University Münster and the Center for Nanotechnology under the mentorship of Prof. Bart Jan Ravoo, supported by a Liebig Fellowship from the ‘Fonds der Chemischen Industrie’ (FCI). In December 2015 Pol completed the Habilitation and received the venia legendi in Organic Chemistry.
In January 2015 Pol was appointed as Professor (W2) for Macromolecular Chemistry at the Institute of Organic Chemistry at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
Awards and Distinctions
- ERC Consolidator Grant 2019-2024
- Visiting Faculty Program Fellow - Weizmann Institute of Science, 2019-2021
- Materials Today EPJ Award 2018, 2nd Prize
- Fudan University State Key Laboratory Senior Visiting Scholar, 2016-2019
- JSP Fellow, 48th Bürgenstock Conference, 2013
- Member of the Junges Kolleg der Nordrhein-Westfälischen Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Künste, 2013-2014
- Thieme Chemistry Journal Award, 2013
- Liebig-Fellow, Fonds der Chemischen Industrie (FCI), 2011-2014
- Marie Curie Intra-European Fellow (IEF), 2009-2011
- Hamilton-Barrett Prize, 2006
- JLS Allan Memorial Prize, 2004
Professional Functions and Responsibilities
- Vice Spokesperson of the Research Training Group (RTG 2516) "Structure Formation of Soft Matter at Interfaces", since 2020
- Deputy Head of the Department of Chemistry, JGU Mainz, since 2020
- Member of the Commission for Studies and Teaching in Chemistry (Ausschuss Studium und Lehre), JGU Mainz, since 2020
- Member of the Examination Committees (Prüfungsausschüsse) for the Chemistry and Biomedical Chemistry B.Sc./M.Sc. and B.Ed./M.Ed. degrees, JGU Mainz, since 2019
- Editor for Organic Materials (Thieme journal), since 2019
- Coordinator of the DAAD International Study and Training Partnership (ISAP) with the University of Massachusetts Amherst, since 2017
- Chairman of the Organic Colloquia Lecture Series, JGU Mainz, since 2015
(co-chaired with Prof. Till Opatz since 2019)
- Vice Spokesperson of the 'Junges Kolleg der Nordrhein-Westfälischen Akademie der Wissenschaften und der Künste', 2014
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh), Liebig-Vereinigung für Organische Chemie, Fachgruppe Makromolekulare Chemie and Chemische Biologie.
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), Organic and Materials Chemistry Divisions
- American Chemical Society (ACS) - member of the Organic and Polymer Divisions